Brewer / Cellar Person
Ruhstaller is an historical beer brand of Gold Rush-era pioneer brewer Frank Ruhstaller, owner an operator of the famed Buffalo Brewery in Sacramento, California. The premier brewery of their day closed during Prohibition, and remained so until being re-born some 10 years ago. Today, Ruhstaller operates a 40-acre farm, hop yard and brewery in Dixon, CA, which opened in March 2021 with a focus on using local malt, seasonal agricultural ingredients, estate grown hops (and soon-to-be-including native yeast) to explore concepts of Sacramento Valley terroir through a variety of styles of beer.
Nearly all product coming from our 15 BBL brewhouse is sold on draft through our taprooms located on the farm in Dixon and in Downtown Sacramento, with limited packaging (kegs and cans) going to select accounts within the greater Sacramento, Napa and Sonoma Valleys.
We are accepting resumes for brewing and cellar positions, as we are looking to continue to build a flexible and dynamic team with like-minded individuals who appreciate the role agriculture plays in brewing, exploring open spaces, and most importantly, making great beer. However, this is not an entry level position- minimum six months experience in a production brewery or high-volume brew pub is required. Experience with and passion for farmhouse styles, mixed-culture fermentation and barrel management a plus.
- Brewing duties include CLT and HLT water management, milling, mashing, boiling, grain-out, brewhouse vessel clean-in-place (CIP), and detailed record keeping.
- Cellar duties include monitoring fermentation, dry-hopping, fruit additions, tank transfers, monitoring carbonation, packaging (kegging and canning) and detailed record keeping.
- Yeast handling and management.
- Helping maintain a clean cellar and brewery, as well as monitoring glycol, reverse osmosis, boiler and waste water management systems.
- Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, with good critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to self direct and manage time without direct input or supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks sequentially/concurrently without becoming overwhelmed.
- Ability to engage in heavy physical labor including climbing stairs, climbing into brewhouse vessels, pulling hoses, or scrubbing in potentially uncomfortable positions (bending/squatting/reaching) etc.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard surfaces for an entire shift.
- Ability to work in wet, hot, and cold farm-like conditions.
- Weekend, early morning, or late evening work required at times.
- Expect to be a part of a small team and to contribute in all areas of beer production- from recipe design to packaging, including hop harvest in the late-summer and brewing with those fresh hops
Please respond by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 530.601.8240
Ruhstaller Farm consists of 45 combined acres of hops and walnuts, a brewery and a tasting room. We farm in partnership with nature…we do not spray herbicides, pesticides or fungicides, we do not till the soil, we do not pump our plants with nitrogen. Instead, we work with nature by cover cropping, planting for beneficial insects, rotating animals and using shovels instead of tractors…a lot. Our farming practices have one guiding principle: Leave it Better than you found it.
We are seeking passionate, disciplined folks to help our beer/dog/dirt/sheep loving crew tend to our farm.
Responsibilities and duties to include, but not limited to:
- watering…starting pumps, cleaning out lines, fixing irrigation leaks all according to a watering schedule
- weeding…hand weeding, weed whacking, mowing
- feeding…monitoring animals and their enclosures, watering & feeding animals daily
- maintaining a clean and orderly farm & barn
- duties will evolve with the season as we move from stringing & training to pre-harvest, harvesting, and post-harvest work.
- helping us get more done…so we can all enjoy a beer and sunset at the end of the day…because we earned it!
This is a physical job. Applicants must be able to:
- move quickly
- be agile…lots of bending/squatting/kneeling
- work on their feet all day
- lift 30 lbs
Hiring experienced and first-time farm helpers. Part-time & Full-time positions available. Compensation correlates with experience and responsibility. To learn more about us, click here.
If you’re interested in helping us grow, please email: email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ruhstaller strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Must be at least 21 years old.